Woodlawn Neighborhood Association General Meeting Minutes
May 2, 2023 7pm
In Person at Classic Foods: 817 NE Madrona & on-line at Zoom
Welcome and Vision: “In the future, Woodlawn will be a place where people live harmoniously, respectfully, and in support of one another. The neighborhood will be a clean and thriving community… All Woodlawn residents will share and pursue the common values of health, efficiency, beauty, equity, and justice.”
7:00 – 7:10 Introductions
- Please share name, pronouns, & what brought you to tonight’s meeting.
- Board members present: Barbara England, Anjala Ehelebe, Dennis Kennedy, via Zoom – Shirley Minor, via Facebook Live – Thelma Diggs
- Neighbors present: Liz Kennedy, Bryan Wasetis, Melissa Jura, Beth Gratzer, & Linde Parcels.
- Board members absent: Melody Randolph, Nancy Flynn, Rick & Krista Reynolds, Keith Baich
7:10 – 8:00 General Business
- Approve March meeting notes
- Presentation by Jessica Dekum St Theatre: Jessica gave us some history, their hope to have a soft opening Thursday, May 11, 2023, opening Thursday thru Sunday 4 – 9:00 pm for bar and restaurant. The theater portion will be opening this fall with dance, music, drama. Theater seats 100 and the bar and restaurant includes all ages, all hours.
- Brief introduction of the sponsorship drive and donation request letter.
- Need permanent Chairperson and volunteer for secretary position as well as Facebook page monitoring.
- Linde Parcels offered to take secretary position – all were in favor.
- Barbara England agreed to serve as Chair for the remainder of the year – all in favor.
- These two positions were confirmed by a board email vote, since a quorum was not present at the meeting. Voting in favor were: Anjala, Shirley, and Dennis at meeting, confirmed by Nancy, Rick, Krista, Aimee, and Keith via email.
- Update on Easter Egg Humt – due to incomplete information this has not been finalyzed.
- Update on Neighborhood Cleanup for this year. Save the date – Saturday, June 17th with dumpsters at For Good and Co on MLK. Flyers will be available by June meeting.
8:00 – 8:20 Board Business
- Treasurer’s Report (Dennis)
- The WNA has essentially the same amount of money as last month
- Dennis reminded us to get pre-aproval for spending funds
- NECN Report (Anjala)
- Land Use and Transportation Report – Anjala suggested we not object to demolition at 7016 NE 13th Ave. All agreed
- Farmers Market update – Beth reported on volunteer drive and opening of Market on June 3rd.
- Neighborhood Emergency Team (NET)
- Anjala briefly described this work.
8:20 – 8:30 Additional agenda items and announcements
- Barbara mentioned that WMA did not get street painting grant
- We considered moving July meeting to the following Tuesday since our regular meeting would be the 4th of July.